Sunday, September 20, 2009

Book Review

An Echo in the Bone
Diana Gabaldon


The seventh book in the Outlander series has left me wanting more.

I never dreamed that I would be anticipating Gabaldon's next installment in her Outlander series. Time travel. P'shaw.



I love it! I love the story. I love the history. I love the characters. A teacher I talked to a couple of years ago said that, "Everyone loves Jamie." Well. She is so right!

Gabaldon's Outlander novels are not quick reads. An Echo in the Bone is 820 pages of "I do not want to put it down." I read what I could Friday evening and begrudgingly set it aside to go to bed. Saturday morning I put a roast in the slow cooker for supper and sent the husband to town for a hamburger for lunch. I got up long enough to get a yogurt and a spoon and sat back down to continue reading. Bedtime came too soon. Today I did not even turn on Sunday Morning. I read all day and finally finished at about 5 p.m.

I finished! Now I have to wait another two to three years before the next book in the series is published.

Gabaldon weaves the lives of a 20th century British nurse with an 18th century Highland warrior in the historical setting beginning in the mid-1700s. Having Scottish ancestors I have enjoyed her condensed history of Scotland. She continues the story of Jamie and Claire...but I don't want to tell you too much in case you haven't read any of her books.

The Daingerfield Public Library has all of her Outlander series with the exception of The Outlandish Companion (nonfiction):
Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
The Fiery Cross
A Breath of Snow and Ashes

The library also has some of the Lord John series - Lord John being introduced in the Outlander series.

No comments:

Post a Comment