Saturday, January 17, 2009

Book Review

New Year's Quilt
Jennifer Chiaverini


Another extremely good book by my favorite quilt related author. New Year's Quilt is the eleventh book in the Elm Creek Series. I listened to this audio book while quilting - most appropriate.

Even though I recommend it, I did have a problem. I understand bringing a new reader up to date in case this is the first Elm Creek novel the reader has picked up. I understand a quick rehash of past events. This book however continued to flash back. Even though Chiaverini elaborated on previous events, it became rather tiresome for me. Had I been reading a book, I would have flipped a few pages each time Sylvia began her reminiscing to get back to the current events as they unfolded.


I have enjoyed the Elm Creek quilt series. Titles include:
The Quilter's Apprentice
Round Robin
The Cross Country Quilters
The Runaway Quilt
The Quilter's Legacy
The Master Quilter
The Sugar Camp Quilt
The Christmas Quilt
Circle of Quilters
The Quilter's Homecoming
The Winding Ways Quilt
The Lost Quilter - coming April 2009


Other books related to Elm Creek are books which include patterns for quilts mentioned in Chiaverini's books:
Elm Creek Quilts
Return to Elm Creek
More Elm Creek Quilts


Also is a cookbook that reads like a novel:
The Quilter's Kitchen


The Daingerfield Public Library does not currently have the quilt pattern books or the cookbook. It may not have all of the novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment