Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Book Review

Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr., Peter Lorre...what do these names conjure? (Like that? Conjure?!) I sat for hours petrified in front of the television when I was a child watching black and white movies about vampires, werewolves, Frankenstein... I felt empathy for Lon Chaney Jr.'s werewolf. He did not want to be what he had become. I was way too young to understand the hypnotic sexual attraction for vampires so, of course, I didn't like them at all. "I vant to drink your blood..." Like, YUCK! How gross!!

What does this have to do with a book review? Vampires are hot again. Last spring a high school student recommended a book, Twilight by Stephanie Meyers. "It's really good." "What's it about?" "Vampires." "I don't think so."

Fast forward to now. I've just read all four books in the Twilight series. I read them in three or four days! It was easy...they are written for the teenaged reader.

Twilight introduces the main characters: Bella, Edward, and Jacob. You know enough now to know that one of them is a vampire. Okay! Okay! I'll tell...Edward and his entire "family" are vampires. I enjoyed reading the development of the characters and the relationships. So we have a teenage girl, Bella, who moves to a new town and falls in love with the vampire, Edward.

In New Moon we find out that Jacob is not what anyone, including Jacob, thinks he is. He's a...you're going to have to read the book to find out what he is. Really, it's almost too much for me to accept at this point. This book gets a bit tiring.

I was reading Eclipse while subbing at the high school one day this week. Bella has to choose between Edward and Jacob. I'm rooting for Jacob. (She doesn't have to "die" to be with him.) Two of the girls were in the process of reading the last book in the series. "Don't tell me who she chooses!" It took Meyers a loooong time to tell.

It all comes to THE climax in Breaking Dawn. Sorry. Can't tell you anything about this one because then you will know who Bella chose.

All in all, these are well-written books. I would probably have loved them as a teenager. Reading them, however, has not awakened a desire to read more about vampires.


Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment