Sunday, December 7, 2008

"Cooking With Friends" Recipe Review

I have never made a good homemade dumpling. My drop dumplings always just cooked apart and we had chicken with "thick'ning". So, I've always cheated using cheap canned biscuits (which I pinched apart into thirds or fourths) or flour tortillas cut into strips. Until...Cooking With Friends.

This recipe was submitted by Harthia B. who got it from her Aunt Lena Leach. Aunt Lena - I called her that too - lived across the road from my first husband, Ron, and me while we lived in the last house that we rented from Aunt Lena's niece. Tying into an old friendship, I am excited to have Aunt Lena's recipe for dumplings.

Tim's Favorite Chicken and Dumplings
page 34

To start:
1 whole chicken
1 1/2 - 2 qts. water

Boil one chicken or a whole breast in about 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of water. Let chicken cool then cut into bite size pieces. This makes a big pot of dumplings.

Dough:

1 cup milk
4 tablespoons melted shortening or oil
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
salt to taste
pepper to taste
flour, enough to make thick dough.

Mix dough ingredients until very stiff. Roll out on floured board in thin layer. Slice into strips. Have chicken broth boiling. Drop dough strips into boiling broth. Let boil as you drop dough into boiling water. Next, reduce heat, but still boiling. Takes 10 to 15 minutes to cook dough. Test to see if dough is done by using a knife; cut dough strip in half while boiling. You may have some dough left over. I like for my dumplings to be juicy. Add a stick of butter and 1/2 cup of milk into dumplings. Add chicken pieces and let all simmer a few minutes. Stir as needed. Let sit awhile so that all of the liquid will thicken some.

We all have a tendency to make changes to suit our individual tastes. I seasoned my broth as the chicken cooked adding not only salt and pepper, but also thinly diced carrots, onions, and celery. I even had a beautiful portobella mushroom that HAD to be cooked, so I diced it too. In the dumplings, well, I use lard in my pie pastry so thought it would work for this...it did! I measured the salt (1 teaspoon), pepper (1/4 teaspoon), and flour (3-4 cups). I did not add the butter or milk after the dumplings were cooked. I had NO dough left over. ;o)

We will post more recipe reviews in the future. But, I am warning you, we will NOT post all of the recipes. ;o) To order YOUR very own copy of Cooking With Friends, look to the right side of this screen for ordering information.

No comments:

Post a Comment